Season of Surprises and No Surprises
Inside Prep Sports/By TJ Kelley
Now that we're a little more than half-way through the Michigan's high school season, one can look back at ever so popular crystal ball. Here are Inside Prep Sports five surprises and then not so surprising starts to the season.
1. MHSAA: Their decision to keep the foreign transfers ineligible for the remainder of the season is shocking initially and then not so shocking based on further statements, but then it's shocking again when one thinks about the MHSAA's obvious agenda.
2. Detroit Country Day: When was the last time they were a six loss team in January? There's still time to adjust.
3. Ypsilanti Lincoln: Undefeated and suddenly it seems as they're the team to beat in Washtenaw County.
4. Southfield Bradford Academy: Undefeated with a big game on the road at Harper Woods Chandler Park Academy on Friday.
5. Taylor Truman: One of the state's top front courts has head coach Chuck Suttles without a blemish on the Cougars' record and eyeing revenge on Romulus.
1. Mt. Clemens: The state's top front court is leading Class C with an undefeated season. One guaranteed game on their schedule at Class A #2 Muskegon on February 15 followed by two wins in the playoffs against Consortium and then in the Class C Championship will have head coach Jermaine Jackson, sr. and the "Dogg-Pound" standing on top of the state.
2. Michigan's 2016 class: Josh is Josh, Cassius is Cassius, Big Al is Big Al, and many others are joining the party in a class that is looking to mirror the success of the next on this list.
3. Michigan's 2013 class: It appears that the all of the freshmen are playing very well and led by a 2014 Lottery Pick in James Young. He probably won't be the only one from this class having their name called in New York over the next few years.
4. Detroit PSL Division 1: Not a surprise that the realignment has been a dog fight for the state's top League. Pershing and Cass Tech both had to find some "giddy-up" to get by Class B's Henry Ford and Henry Ford over the past seven days. Too bad only one has a chance to remain in Region #4.
5. MHSAA: Re-read what was said to start this list.
Follow Inside Prep Sports on Twitter @ScoopIPS